Monday, May 11, 2009

72 hour kits

OK most of you are in my stake so you should know about the Stake President's challenge to us. The rest of you...our Stake President has given us different monthly goals to meet. This month is to get together our 72 hour kits. Randy and I have quite a collection of 72 hour kit stuff because we are really really really into outdoors/camping type stuff. Of course we can improve some things so that's what we're going to work on. I wanted to give each of you an extra challenge to get yours together also. You never know when you'll need it.
This link gives you the very basics of what you need for a 72 hour kit.
http://lds.about.com/library/bl/preparation/72_hour_kit.pdf
We have the whole month to do this. So what we're thinking about is breaking it up and doing different things each weeek for FHE. Here's my plan and you are welcome to join me. If you do, I'd like to hear your ideas on what you're going to do or if you used mine...let me know how it goes. We'll go off the basic list from the link I just gave you. I'm just going to give you some extra advice on things that we have learned from.

May 11: Fuel & Light- We're going to make fire starters. These are the best ever that my sister-in-law taught me. You collect drier lint. Yes everybody can do that. Then you get those cardboardish type egg containers (not the styrofoam). Shove as much lint in each egg space as you can. Then melt wax and pour it over. It will soak through the container so make sure something is underneath. You can either buy a block of wax to melt or you can scrape all your old/burned out candles into a pan and melt them. Then when you need to start a fire you just break off one or two "egg" things and it does a very slow burn to get the wood started on fire. Make sense? If you have questions let me know. We're also going to spend time making sure the batteries in our flashlights work and that we have appropriate matches, flares, etc.

May 18: Bedding/Clothing and Miscellaneous--at the moment we have all the kids emergency clothes in one big suitcase. Well, we have a lot of kids so it's quite heavy. They are big enough now to where they can carry some of their own load. So we'll be working on individual bags. I'm planning on using their school backpacks (so I have to wait till the school year is over...I'll get new ones for them in August). Their bags will consist of clothing and food mainly. Food will be done next week though. Now a suggestion for clothing...living in AZ you could probably get away with shorts/t-shirts. However, you never know what the circumstances will be. When we pack clothes we always do pants and long sleeve shirts. The reason for this is because you can always cut them into cooler outfits but you can't make cool outfits warmer...make sense? If you have a baby, make sure you add anything you will need for that baby...diapers, wipes, formula, etc. Oh one more thing. Something that we have always added to our 72 hour kits is a kid game, paper, pens, etc. This is to give them something to do. If you are stressed and really in an emergency you are going to want something that is familiar to the kids that they can take their minds off what's going on. I think we'll put something like this in each of the kids bags.

May 25: Equipment and Food/Water--Equipment is self explanatory. We're going to check our inventory and make sure all our gear is functional and that we have basics. Now because we go camping a lot we kind of have some "luxury" items. I think this is ok. The more prepared you are the better, right? The basics are fine for now if you don't want to overwhelm yourself. As for food, there are SO many different options. We used to have everything in one big tote but I'm going to put it in the kids bags this time. I haven't quite decided what I'm going to do for food exactly. We've done the #10 cans before but I don't know that I'm a fan. I like that you can use the can to cook with and heat water but it's really bulky. So I'm going to think more on this and I'll get back to you. If you have good suggestions let me know.

June 1 (yes I realize it's not May but we missed the first week in May for 72 hr kits so I'm using this one): Personal supplies/1st aid kit and Personal documents--This part is not quite so hard. I'll be copying all our important documents. I'll also get together our first aid kit. Make sure you remember to put in any personal medications that you absolutely need. I also add vitamins because if we're in an emergency then I'll want to get all the nutrients we can.

OK so this is just my generalized plan. I'll have to make more details each week. Let me know how it goes. I hope we can all help motivate each other!!

5 comments:

Rochelle said...

I love your plan and I'm going to copy some of your great ideas. We do our food in one big ziploc bag and included is packages of soup, capri suns, jerky, raisins, oatmeal, and small little things like that. I actually have a whole list if you'd like it. Plus, it includes what to eat when so that its rationed...

andreamatrix said...

If there's an emergency I think I'll just go next door to Tawanda's.

Lyndi said...

I started doing gallon zip lock bags too. (for food) there's a lot of cool stuff you can put in there. hot cocoa mixes, Tuna pouches for protein, etc.

One other need is 72 hour water. we have bought the big juice bottles that have handles on them. after they are emptied, we of course fill with water. Then if we have to walk, or travel to get water, the kids that are big enough can carry their own bottles easily. We're going to try and recycle our food bags on eacn New Years day and see if that works. I plan on just letting the kids have their bags and let them eat it for a 'treat'. I'm going to find out if the items last for a year.

Me said...

Melissa,

I apologize for using your blog to find Randy. Have him give me a call. We're old mission buddies.

Thanks!

Josh

210-488-8174
joshua.walker1@gmail.com

Shaunells Hair said...

HEy there! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your family is darling, and I love the info on 72 hour kits! Awesome! Have a good one!